If you are living with multiple sclerosis (MS), you may be concerned about having enough energy, stamina or coordination to exercise. Fortunately, the NCH Wellness Center offers
many different ways to get exercise and different types of exercise that suit a variety of fitness levels and physical abilities.
- Personal Training-Wellness Center certified personal trainers can provide you with the expertise, motivation and accountability you need to incorporate exercise into your MS treatment plan. They will work with you to design an exercise program that is safe, fun and effective.
- Pilates-What makes Pilates so popular in the MS community? Pilates focuses on core muscles--muscles in the center of the body like deep abdominals and muscles around the spine--that are important for overall stability and balance, common problem areas in multiple sclerosis. Pilates also builds strength (without bulk), teaches body awareness (great for those with numbness), promotes good posture, and improves muscle elasticity and joint mobility.
- Aqua for MS-This cooler water exercise class is designed for people who have multiple sclerosis. This class follows the guidelines of the MS Society and is eligible for scholarships.
The Wellness Center spa offers many services that help manage MS symptoms:
- Signature Massage will help relax and reduce stress.
- Deep Tissue Massage focuses on poor posture and on stressed areas; blood flow and oxygen increase.
- Thai Massage will help increase blood flow and stimulate the senses.
- Reflection of Energy Massage will reduce over-activity of nerves to reduce spasticity.
- Myofascial Release; connection tissue can become more pliable and increase blood flow.